Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Paper, Plastic ... Canvas???

No real estate today ... I feel an urge to go in a different direction today.

I have encountered one too many folks who still don't know about the local grocery chain discount (not all, but quite a few) that offer for B.Y.O.B.
Not THAT, bags! Bring Your Own Bags ... Canvas bags that is ...

Many of you already know, but quite a few of the local grocery stores will give you a 10-25¢ discount for each canvas bag you bring in, to be in lieu of using their plastic or paper bags.

Try it today. My problem is not using them, but forgetting to bring them IN to the store. Classic Heather, "Okay I have my canvas bags all ready to go ..." I begin shopping and get in line and "DOH!" No bags, they are still on my front seat. I have doing this canvas bag thing now for about for about six months or better. It all started when Steve was getting so many canvas bags from vendors on his various REALTOR convention trips, we decided this was a sign to get on board with the "cut back on your plastic bag consumption."

I have been using canvas bags now for quite some time and I must say not ALL store chains are on board to making this a readily easy thing to do (meaning bring in one's own bags). A few places have the turnstile, "mass" plastic bag dispenser. I am SURE you know what I am talking about. I still bring my bags in there, and I have received numerous, disgruntled expressions from "all-to-displeased" register folks. They are very nice, but my bags cannot be twirled to the next one and it does require stepping out of the routine to open up each bag and load.

It isn't my fault the company's design didn't take this into consideration the canvas bag era. Sure I might add another 20-30 seconds to the loading process efficiently. (Not too mention that dang mass bag, twirling contraption has lost me ice cream and frozen goods because not all the bags made it back into my cart-grrrr! It isn't THAT great). Take it back to the drawing board folks, canvas bags are the direction we are going. If the person behind the counter looks flustered help out. Not to mention you will ensure your cereal box doesn't make banana mush out of your hand-picked bananas if you load them.

It is not a comfort zone thing for many people both on the consumer side to bring in bags to a store, nor for the person running the register and/or person bagging your items. Many although are and will praise you at the register for your attempt (and memory to get the bags out of your car). I have also experience the positive of people from behind the counter, complementing me on my efforts or anyone else in line remembering to bring in their bags. It really is a good feeling to know that you are not making waste of any more bags. Now I know, you dog lovers are saying, "I NEED those bags," well so do I, but just something to curb the waste is better than not all.

I like to have one big canvas bag and store all of the smaller ones inside.
Try it next time you go out. I guarantee you have at least one or two canvas bags in your house today. Not only are they "generally" more supportive than those risky plastic bags or the junky handled paper bags (they are worthless to me, outside of magazine mass disposal carriers), but they are easier to carry. I have noticed from store to store the looks from other shoppers too seeing my mass canvas bags in my cart, so much curiosity. Many stores are selling their personally "branded" bags at the registers at even lower costs now more than ever and that it is worth the jump.

You start with one or two bags, I guarantee you will be "jumping on board." They are so much easier to use. Heck I bet you will even have a favorite bag.
Check out the world of canvas bags on the google search I did. People are really getting into rating and finding good alternatives to the plastic & paper bag world.

Click here to see all the canvas bags.

No comments: