Sunday, October 19, 2008

Maintaining a home if you have to be gone ...

Hmmm ... saw this video on CNN, not sure how I feel about it. Unless they don't mind showing a home easily and keep the home smelling and looking top-notch, it is hard to say if a renter would help, or rather "pluses" outweigh the "minuses." Each situation granted being unique. Besides keeping it clean and fresh (and a mowed lawn) is this really a good idea? ALTHOUGH the no rent is ENTICING! Is that enough incentive? If you are in sales and or particularly, someone from the arts, often the least appreciated are the items that come for free. Now I am not talking donation to charities, I am talking about people that can afford to dish and buy, but are looking for that deal, you give it to them and they don't value the product appopriately.

Seems like the likelihood of finding the perfect renter match is a possible one.Not everyone has the bankroll for a lawn service I suppose. Just a matter of finding all the right variables in place of someone that in lieu of rent, will mow the lawn, weed-wack and pull weeds. Keep the home clean and presented well, and willing to show the home (often after 530pm when people get off work). So if you can get that or close to, you are doing well I suppose.




There are some great renters out there, and I know many where those owners are darn lucky that they have such a great person(s) keeping the home. BUT, Oh the stories of renters and/or family members botching the house being shown to anyone. Such a hard scenario where you can often see both sides ... just a real bummer right now to be a renter where your home might be sold from underneath you or you can experience the foreclosure. It's tough sometimes especially if you are comfortable where you are and are blindsided by the experience. I remember being a renter and having our home go up for sale without us knowing and being in pajamas in my bed and having an agent walk in our house WITH clients and without as much of a phone call and I wanted to clobber him. "Oh I called ... you didn't get it." Uh huh buddy, sure there slim. My eyes were as big as saucers when I heard the deadbolt unclick. :-D So I can empathize in that respect. BUT we did always try to keep our home clean, neat, swept and tidy. I wasn't happy or ready to lose the home we were renting, but it wasn't my choice and sometimes you have to do the right thing, not the thing you want. The owner had always been good to us, but even he hadn't, sometimes doing the right thing is better than getting even. Without of course not compromising your rights as a tenant.

Best of luck to all of you trying it all and trying to do good! Our hearts are with you. Wanting to keep your neighborhood up is something we all want and need. Clean and kept areas attract others similar. A bad yard effects all.

No comments: